The best show on television looks like it will be getting even better – grittier, bloodier, grimmer – this fall when it returns for its fourth season. Check out the preview here.
1) The prison remains the base of operations for Rick’s group. This is both reassuring (its a perfect place to survive a zombie apocalypse) and disappointing (the show is at its best when the survivors hit the road). There are ample clues in the trailer that would suggest that either part or all of the group does, in fact, attempt to leave the prison at some point.
2) Chandler Riggs (Carl) is getting big. He’s 14 in real life and appears to be playing a character at least that old. I wonder if he’ll step up and replace Rick as the moral compass and true leader of the group this season?
3) The song that plays over the second half of the trailer is really good and reminds me a bit of Wye Oak (the artist showcased to good effect in Season One). This should be a big boost to Sharon Van Etten’s rising fame.
4) The group of survivors continues to strive for a very fashionable and P.C. diversity and appears to being nearing a 50-50 balance of chocolate and vanilla. Glenn, however, remains the sole Asian and is easily my favorite character (after uber-redneck Daryl of course!)
5) I don’t detect any major shifts in plot for the new season. Looks to me like the survivors, having defeated the evil one-eyed Governor of Woodbury are now content to shore up their defenses at the prison and make supply runs into the neighboring countryside. Of course, this being The Walking Dead, lots more main characters will get killed off this season. But I doubt this will be the final season of the show. What do you think?